Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Tutorial ~ Stuffed Organza Yo-yo Flower

Last week I made a card with a stuffed organza yo-yo flower, and have been asked to do a tutorial. So I'd like to share with you, today, how I made this flower.

I love making flowers out of paper, fabric, ribbon, lace, and more, and thought it would be fun to fill an organza yo-yo flower with some embellishments. The first time around (a photo is at the end of this post), I stuffed it with some Mellissa Frances Glass Glitter. This time around, I thought it would be fun to fill it with some pearl and crystal glass beads. The organza is darker, so it's harder to see, and the flower is smaller (I used a 3" diecut circle), but I like how it turned out. And it's super easy!!

All you need is a circle of organza fabric (cut it twice the width you would like it to be ~ mine was 3" in diameter. ), a needle with matching thread, and whatever you'd like to fill it up with. You can use fibers, confetti, beads, rhinestones, pearls...shoot, you could even fill it with some potpourri.



Stitch around the outside of your circle with large basting stitches. (Don't stitch too close to the edge though because the fabric could fray.)



Pull the strings together to gather up the flower into a circle...I stuffed it before securing the thread.


Then just embellish and add it to your card.


I have a wedding to attend this weekend, and thought this elegant stuffed organza yo-yo would work beautifully for a wedding card. I used this week's Waltzingmouse sketch for some inspiration. I'd like to encourage you to participate in the WMS sketch challenge too. We'd love to see how you're inspired. All the stamps used are from the Waltzingmouse stamps sets: Say it Loud and Compact Sentiments

Here are the sweet little tickets with the sentiments stamped on them.


Here's a look at the first stuffed organza flower I made and posted last week.



That's it for today ya'll. I hope you're having a nice week.
Happy Stamping!!

post signature


_____________________________________________________

Stamps: Say it Loud, Compact Sentiments (Waltzingmouse)
Paper: In Love and Game On (Webster's Pages), Vintage Cream (PTI)
Ink: Onyx Black (Versafine), Pumice Stone (Ranger Distress)
Accessories: Labels and Tags, Floral Ovals, and Classic Ovals dies (Spellbinders), Lace (Webster's Pages), Butterfly and key punches (Martha Stewart), Border Punch (EK Success), Feathers, Twine, Crystal Glitter, Quickie Glue Pen, Rhinestones (Pizzaz Aplenty), Scor-Buddy, Organza Ribbon, Glass Beads, Vintage Button (Basicgrey), feathers, Sewing Machine

12 comments:

Gabriela said...

What a delightful surprise to find inside the organza yo-yo flower. Your tutorial is so well done too! Thank you.

Becky Dunham said...

This flower is beautiful Tosh - thanks so much for the tutorial! I can't wait to try this!

Anonymous said...

Great idea, this is definitely something I will try.

Carolyn King said...

that is gorgeous...although the sewing "talk" was wayyy over my head :) giggle!

Barbara said...

How beautiful these flowers are and your card is gorgeous. I am sure the special couple will be pleases. Thank you for sharing:)

Silke Ledlow said...

Tosh, both cards are absolutely stunning! Hugs ~S~

Luanne said...

These are awesome! Can't wait to try this out, thanks for the great directions!

Conniecrafter said...

Beautiful, love the pop of color that flower gives and the little tags off to the side is a neat touch!

Becca-expressions said...

Love, love, love this idea. Thanks so much for the tutorial. It looks easy enough for even me!

Benzi said...

Thanks for the awesome tutorial, Tosh! Got to try it....make have to run to the fabric store unless I can find scraps.

Ooh, beautiful when stuffed.

Joanne (jojot) said...

fabulous tutorial, Tosh....as kids we used to make yoyo dolls with bright cotton fabrics....may have to try some of these more elegant ones

stunning cards too, my friend

Kate said...

Thanks for sharing. I will definitely try this soon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Site Design By Designer Blogs